So I met this great fella Roger on Neighbourly when I posted looking for a casual mechanic to help out with our little F1 project. Lives just around the road and is an awesome mechanic with a hoist. he’s going to help me get this old girl on the road in pretty fast time. The truck is a wonderful survivor, the panels are straight and all mechanicals look loved. Little corrosion or rust.
Today was a big one. We took the tray off, stripped all the brakes and lines, cleaned and honed the brake cylinders (We’ll reline the pads). Drums are great and don’t need machining. We’ve pulled the universals/driveshaft and will fix the slop, we pulled the gas tank and found it was in pretty mint order with no leaks. The headliner is out and seats. I’ll have them upholstered this week with something funky/retro. We’ve nearly got all the glass out and quarterlights so I can drop to Smith and Smith this week (Tinted new glass going in ;-).
We pulled the shocks and will replace those (one was dead, others fine), there’s a couple of bushes but nothing major. Tomorrow we’ll waterblast the chassis and etch prime/paint it then over the next week or two get it back together. He’s talking to a sparky this week about the electrical and we should be able to get that back in place. Next week we’ll finish the brakes and fuel with new lines.
We’re calling it ‘Survivor’ and setting it up as an un restored daily driver. Here’s the first day’s pics……